Thursday, February 15, 2007

Mac OS X with Windows Printer

I struggled on this one for a while. My printer (Epson 2200) is hooked up to my main Windows box and shared so my wife and I can print to it from our Windows laptops via wireless.

I could find and add the printer in the Mac printer setup but it wouldn't work. I was getting NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

Searching the web found many people with the same problem. I eventually got it working by using the Advanced printer setup (a little tricky to find) and using a URI of:

smb://andrew:@mckinlayhome/epson2200

Judging by what I found on the web this has been an ongoing problem with OS X. I wonder why it hasn't been fixed?

Funnily, my copy of Windows running under Parallels on the Mac had no problem connecting to the printer.

No comments: