Monday, March 12, 2007

Air Canada Web Problem

Here's what I got when I entered my booking number and name into Air Canada's web site to check my booking:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Empty country component in 'value' attribute in 
message:Empty country component in 'value' attribute in

stacktrace:
...
A good reminder to make sure you catch errors and give users a more friendly message. Most people probably don't want to see the stack trace :-)

PS. I managed to get it to work. The problem seems to be that I clicked on a link from an Air Canada email that took me straight to the bookings page, bypassing the page where you pick your language. Another good lesson - don't assume people will always enter your site via the "front" page. These days, a large percentage of people enter via searches that point to within the site. (In this case it was their own link so you'd think they'd handle it!)

No comments: