Monday, August 20, 2007

Web Mail

I'm surprised that so many people put up with the annoying ads inserted into their email by Yahoo Mail and Microsoft Hotmail. When I started using Gmail I never really thought about this issue, but now I'm very thankful that Google doesn't do this kind of advertising.

I guess if you're just using your email for unimportant stuff it's not a big deal. But when you're using it to apply for jobs, or for your work, do you really want stuff like this on your messages?
Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
or:
Windows Live Hotmail. Even hotter than before. Get a better look now.
I would guess one reason people don't object is that they don't see it when they're sending a message.

I realize this kind of "viral" marketing can be effective, and when Hotmail first did it, it was a clever thing to do. But nowadays, I just find it offensive. Of course, I find TV commercials offensive too and that won't stop them doing it.

In any case, I'm glad Google doesn't do it. They do some "viral" marketing by suggesting you invite people to join Gmail, but it's fairly unobtrusive. And the ads they show beside Gmail are easy to ignore as well. (And fairly easy to block if you really want to.) And these things are only shown to me, the person getting the free service, rather than to people I'm sending messages to, who shouldn't have to "pay" for my service by viewing ads!

Interestingly, Google, who made a big splash by offering 1 gb of Gmail storage when most people were offering measly amounts like 10mb, is now offering the least amount of storage - "only" 2.8 gb compared to unlimited for Yahoo and AOL, and 5 gb for Hotmail. more...

No comments: