Or should that be One Step Forward, Two Steps back?
Yesterday I was back to working on the multi-threaded ACE Suneido server. It started off really well. I got the server actually running, could connect and disconnect, and make simple requests and get responses. A very good milestone.
The obvious next step is to try to start up a Suneido client IDE using the new server. This is a big jump because even to start up requires a large number of requests of different kinds. I didn't really expect it to work, but programmers are eternal optimists :-)
I got a variety of weird errors and memory faults - not surprising. But amongst these errors was one that said something like "GC collecting from unknown thread". Oh yeah, I knew this was going to be an issue but I'd pushed it to the back of my mind. The garbage collector needs to know about all the threads in order to take their stacks and registers etc. into account. The way the Boehm GC normally does this is by requiring you to call their create thread function which is a wrapper around the OS one.
The problem is, ACE is creating the threads. I found where ACE calls create thread and thankfully there was a single point I could modify to call the GC version. But, I was using ACE via a DLL which means it can't call functions in the main program (where the GC one is).
The obvious solution is to not use a DLL, to statically link in the ACE code. Sounds easy. I even found the option "static_libs=1" that would build static libraries. But it doesn't work. It builds a static library alright, but when I try to link it into Suneido I get a bunch of "multiple definitions" and "undefined references". Suspiciously, many of the names were "_imp_..." which seems a lot like the way DLL's work. My guess would be that "static_libs=1" isn't working fully, which isn't too surprising given that the "normal" usage is with shared libraries (DLL). In software, "taking the path less traveled" is often a recipe for frustration.
I started digging into the maze of headers, configs, makefiles, and ifdefs but I ran out of time. Presumably it's solvable. You can see why people like to use things like .Net or Java where at least some of these low level issues are handled for you.
At the same time as I was working on this, I downloaded Ubuntu 7.10 and created a new Parallels VM (on my MacBook while I was working on my main machine). I used the alternate cd with the text based installer as recommended by other people. It went quite smoothly (except for crashing OS X the first time I started the install), and no display problems. But when I tried to install the Parallels Tools, the disk image appeared "corrupted" - only a single file and its name was random garbage characters. I tried rebooting the VM, restarting Parallels, and rebooting the MacBook but it didn't help. I searched on the web but didn't find any references to this problem. I have upgraded my MacBook to Leopard (the new version of OS X) so the problem may be related to that. When I get time I'll try running this VM on my Mac Mini which hasn't been upgraded to Leopard yet.