Friday, December 14, 2007

Amazon SimpleDB

Amazon has announced a new service - SimpleDB

We are pretty happy with our use of Amazon's S3 (Simple Storage Service)

I've been curious to try Amazon EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud) but I haven't found a good application yet.

One of the big limitations with EC2 is that it's not well suited to running database servers. I've been waiting for them to improve support for this, but instead (or at least, first) we get SimpleDB.

I wonder if someone will make Rails work with SimpleDB as the database? How would the performance compare?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

With a Rails plugin for SimpleDB we might be able to get rid of migrations and instead define the attributes in the models.

Anonymous said...

Imagine a DSL for defining attributes and validations in the same place in ActiveRecord subclasses.

Andrew McKinlay said...

Amazon SimpleDB is built on Erlang

What You Need To Know About Amazon SimpleDB

Anonymous said...

I've been working a Rails plugin for SimpleDB last week and came up with a proxy server bridging ActiveResource to SimpleDB, I call it AWS SDB Proxy Plugin for Rails. You might want to take a look at it. Let me know, how it goes...