Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Back to jSuneido

Yesterday I sat down to get back to work on jSuneido after almost two months of inactivity. It was a struggle. Getting over a cold might have something to do with that. I thought it might be hard to figure out where to start, but that turned out to be relatively easy. It was harder to remember how everything (in my code) works - how to do what I wanted to do. Thankfully, what I started with was fairly straightforward.

The harder part turned out to be getting my head back into it. Sitting at a desk, focusing on a single task is quite a change from traveling, where you are constantly jumping around. And it's going to be hard to regain the momentum and drive I had at first. Even before I left, that was getting harder. Oh well, if it was easy, anyone could do it.

On the positive side, I managed to fight off most of my urges to get distracted and I did write a good chunk of code and make a fair bit of progress. That's a lot more motivating than thrashing around and producing nothing!

As I mentioned before, I think I'm getting quite close to having a mostly functional single threaded server. That leaves the big challenges of implementing the Suneido language (needed even in the server for triggers and rules) and the multi-threading, of course.

On another positive note, I still feel pretty confident that this is a "good" direction to go. Only time will tell for sure, but I haven't encountered anything (yet) that would make me think I've taken a wrong turn. One person on the Suneido forum did express concern that a Java version would lose some of the ease of install and lack of dependencies that the current version has, but I think those concerns can be addressed.

No comments: