Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Building cSuneido with Visual Studio 2013

It's not that long ago since I switched to building cSuneido with VS 2012, but after listening to some Channel 9 podcasts about enhancements to the C++ compiler I figured I should give the new version a try.

Note: Confusingly, Visual Studio 2013 = Visual C++ version 12 - off by one error :-)

The version I'm using is the free Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop.

I started a new solution and projects rather than convert / update the existing ones so I wouldn't bring over any undesired garbage. Of course, starting from scratch meant running into some of the same errors as other times, but at least it's a little fresher in my mind this time.

One advantage of VS 2013 is that it came with support for building XP compatible applications. Originally they didn't have this in VS 2012 and it was added later (probably after the outcry from developers). I'd prefer to drop support for XP but we still have a lot of customers running it. We're working on getting them to upgrade.

I fixed a few more warnings in the code that the new compiler found, but other than that it went pretty smoothly.

I haven't measured the speed of the resulting executable, but from running the tests etc. it doesn't seem like there's significant difference.

Assuming we don't find any problems we'll switch to using this version for our customers.

As usual, the code changes and the Visual Studio solution and projects are in version control on SourceForge. If you try building it, let me know how it goes.

No comments: