Thursday, June 26, 2008

Eclipse Ganymede

The latest version of Eclipse - Ganymede (3.4) is out. I couldn't figure out how to update/upgrade from within my existing installation. Maybe that's not possible between versions. So I just downloaded and installed the new version. The only problem with that was that I had to reinstall my plugins. But I could export/import my list of update sites which made it pretty easy.

Ganymede is a coordinated release of 23 projects representing over 18 million lines of code. I'm not sure I can really wrap my head around that. It makes my porting of a measly 60,000 lines of code sound like a drop in the bucket.

Check out the release notes - some cool new stuff. It's nice to see they've improved the plugin/update installation process.

I've been using TextMate to view the Suneido C++ code as I work on the Java version. It has a lot of devoted fans and some great features, but I've been having a hard time getting used to it. For example, the Find doesn't have a "whole words" option. I guess I could do it with regular expressions, but that seems awkward. It seems like every editor has that. And the normal Find also doesn't default to the selected text. Just little things, but they slow me down.

I've been getting more comfortable with Eclipse and getting spoilt by its features. I saw there was a new release of CDT (C & C++ Development Tools) with the new Eclipse so I thought I'd try it out. I still had to struggle to import the source into an Eclipse project. There is help for this but, as is so often the case, it isn't very helpful. I ended up importing from Subversion, which is probably good since I'll be able to check in any changes I make as I'm browsing the source. I didn't bother trying to set up a build environment since it won't build on the Mac anyway. But at least I can use the same tools to access both the Java and the C++ code.

No comments: