Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Graphics Software

If you're interested in digital photography software you might want to take a look at the free beta of Adobe Lightroom. I haven't spent a lot of time with it but I really like the simple consistent layout.

I've also been using Adobe Photoshop Elements. At less than $100 it's good value. I originally got a copy included with something else I bought. That version (2) wasn't all that powerful, but each new version (5 was just released) has been more capable. I also picked up a copy of Photoshop Elements 5 - The Missing Manual after listening to a podcast interview with the author, Barbara Brundage.

I'm also a long time user of Canvas. I think it's too bad this program hasn't been more successful. It combines both vector and bitmap editing along with desktop publishing type layout. You might think putting all that in one package would make a mess, but they fit it together remarkably well. I highly recommend it.

Of course, as an open source fan I should be using Gimp. One of these days I'll take time to learn it!

No comments: