Thursday, January 21, 2016

Mac Remote Desktop Resolution

At home I have a Retina iMac with a 27" 5120 x 2880 display. At work I have a Windows machine with a 27" 2560 x 1440 display set at 125% DPI. I use Microsoft Remote Desktop (available through the Apple app store) to access my work machine from home.

I'm not sure how it was working before, but after I upgraded my work machine to Windows 10, everything got smaller. It comes up looking like 100% (although that's actually 200% on the Mac).

Annoyingly, when you are connected through RDP you aren't allowed to change the DPI.

I looked at the settings on my RDP connection but the highest resolution I could choose (other than "native") was 1920 x 1080 which was close, but a little too big.

Poking around, I found that in the Preferences of Microsoft Remote Desktop you can add your own resolutions (by clicking on the '+' at the bottom left). I added 2048 x 1152 (2560 x 1440 / 1.25)


Then changed the settings on the connection to use that and it's now back to my usual size.


The screen quality with RDP doing the scaling does not seem as good as when Windows is doing the scaling, but at least the size is the same.

I'm guessing from what I saw with searching the web that there might be a way to adjust this on the Terminal Server on my Windows machine, but I didn't find any simple instructions.

If anyone knows a better way to handle this, let me know.

1 comment:

Larry Reid said...

I read something recently about Microsoft owning a patent on some font-rendering technology, that means other people can use the technique until 2020 or something like that. Of course, you're using Microsoft software on your Mac, so you would expect they would us their fonts. But maybe there's something to look into about the actual font you're using.